Amanda-Users

Beginner's questions

2009-02-05 13:04:01
Subject: Beginner's questions
From: Jose Hales-Garcia <jose AT stat.ucla DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:51:36 -0800

I've just installed Amanda server and client and successfully tested that it's working. Now I want to start creating my production environment and have some questions. I don't think what I want to do is unique and hopefully someone can point to documentation explaining it.

My set up includes a 1 TB drive as the back up device. I have five such drives which I want to rotate every 3 months. A complete cycle would be done in 15 months.

My questions are:

1. I'm assuming each drive would be a set, is that correct? Something like daily-quarter1, daily-quarter2, etc. How do avoid duplicating the configurations for these sets, since they're identical?

2. The slots I've created on the hard drive are 25 (I'm just following an example). Do I need more slots for the capacity of the drive, or will these slots be reused?

3. Eventually these sets will begin to be overwritten when the 5 quarter (15 month) cycle is completed. How do I reclaim a set to start new backups to it?

4. I want to filter files like sockets, logs, media files, etc. Where are filters defined? (I'm hoping it's on the server.)

Those are my questions.

Thank you for your time and attention,
Jose