Amanda-Users

Exporting 'finished' tapes?

2008-12-30 16:39:35
Subject: Exporting 'finished' tapes?
From: "Onotsky, Steve x55328" <Steve.Onotsky AT broadridge DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:31:03 -0500

Hi all,

I’m running Amanda 2.6.0p1 on an RHEL5 x64 host, compiled from source. I have a couple of configs (one for daily use, one for clients that get backed up weekly) running under chg-zd-mtx, and everything seems to be running well.

What I’d like to be able to do, is specify in a config’s changer.conf the range of import/export slots for my library, and to put ejected, just-written tapes into an I/E slot upon completion of dumps (first available if possible).  The ability to grab tapes from those slots via the same mechanism would also be cool, but I’d be happy to just have auto-export.  The reason I’d like to be able to do this is, I am not the one that handles the tapes that go offsite every business day, and the person who does is a bit of a technophobe; anything I can do to make their life easier would be great.

I’ve tried to find an answer to this question via the Zmanda wiki, Google, and just about every resource I can think of…  I will admit to the possibility that the answer was staring me in the face and I missed it, in which case I apologize profusely for wasting time and bandwidth.  J  I suspect, though, that I’m going to have to take chg-zd-mtx and bolt my own export code onto it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve Onotsky

Server Support Technologist

Broadridge

Investor Communication Solutions, Canada

5970 Chedworth Way

Mississauga  ON  L5R 4G5

Tel: (905) 507-5328

Fax: (905) 507-5312