Amanda-Users

Re: Holding Disk Size

2008-12-06 12:38:38
Subject: Re: Holding Disk Size
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: mlb AT imparisystems DOT com
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:02:37 -0500
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Matt Burkhardt <mlb AT imparisystems DOT com>
wrote:
> I've got a directory called Music that has 54GB on it.  My disk has 36GB
> free.  I have a second disk with 34GB free on it.  Can I have multiple
> holding disks?

Yes, you can, and that would be the easiest solution for you.

> If I give the disk list as each subdirectory under Music, will it need less
> holding space?  Should I break up the backup jobs into several ones?  Should
> I just buy a bigger disk?

Amanda works best if its DLEs are of similar sizes.  Assuming your
other DLE's are <10GB, on the day that a full backup of Music rolls
around, your backup size is going to be much larger than other days
(particularly since incrementals of that directory are probably very
small).  So this would be a better, if somewhat more time-consuming,
solution.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer