Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Debugging

2008-12-01 12:34:47
Subject: Re: Amanda Debugging
From: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 08:40:29 -0600

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Jim Summers
<jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu> wrote:
Looking on the clients, I found no activity except on one gtar process on
one DLE.  That client also has amdumps and sendsize running.  Using very
little cpu.

I think that this is the key to what stalled the backups.  Was the
gtar process hung too?  Such a hang can be caused by a hung mountpoint
or, in some fs's, filesystem corruption.  But Amanda will dutifully
wait for more data.

Killing this process and re-running amcleanup should get you a working
setup again, but I assume you've figured this out -- it's been a few
days since you posted..

Apologies for letting this go so long, but I wanted to see if the changes I made isolated the problem.

I decided to temporarily remove the DLE that was being processed on the client when things began hanging. That did seem to make a difference. The nightly backups began operating as expected again.

I am going to start perusing through that DLE and see if I can see any problems. The DLE is pointing at a "shared" directory that many researchers use. Is there any chance that symbolic links could be causing a problem? There are also directories within the DLE that are being excluded by the amanda exclude file. I was thinking that is might be a problem if a link pointed across those excludes?

I will try to report back when I discover something.

Many Thanks

Dustin

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma