Amanda-Users

Re: CHECK-DEVICE "no" still issues a yes.

2008-11-16 10:40:11
Subject: Re: CHECK-DEVICE "no" still issues a yes.
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:33:51 -0500
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> I rebooted to 2.6.27.6 yesterday, from 2.6.28-rc4, and although the ls -l
> of /dev/sd* does not change, amanda thought the whole system needed a level 0
> disguised as a level 1.

Recall that it's not the device numbers of the /dev/sd* that will
change -- it's the devices from which you're mounting your
filesystems, which IIRC are LVM volumes.  So you should be checking
the major/minor numbers of those device files.

If the --no-check-device option is not working correctly, then it
would best be demonstrated with a small example using *only* tar, and
leaving Amanda out of the situation.

I think you determined that the holding-disk problems were a disk failure.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com