Amanda-Users

--no-check-device settle time

2008-11-14 05:45:40
Subject: --no-check-device settle time
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 05:38:35 -0500
Greetings;

I finally found the wiki page on using the --no-check-device option and set
that up last night.

It left 5GB in the holding disk.  I set that up in amanda.conf as:

define application-tool app_amgtar {
     comment "amgtar"
     plugin  "amgtar"
     #property "GNUTAR-PATH" "/path/to/gtar"
     #property "GNUTAR-LISTDIR" "/path/to/gnutar_list_dir"
     #default from gnutar_list_dir setting in amanda-client.conf
     #property "ONE-FILE-SYSTEM" "yes"  #use '--one-file-system' option
     #property "SPARSE" "yes"           #use '--sparse' option
     #property "ATIME-PRESERVE" "yes"   #use '--atime-preserve=system' option
     property "CHECK-DEVICE" "no"     #use '--no-check-device' if set to "no"
}

define dumptype dt_amgtar {
     program "APPLICATION"
     application "app_amgtar"
        index yes
}

and changed all the dumptypes that referenced 'global' to use 'dt_amgtar'
instead.

That did not run normally, skipping several dle's because they were too big.
And over 5GB left in the holding disk.

I have now recompiled & re-installed amgtar after changing the default for
check-device from 1 to 0, and have launched a catchup script that will run 3
backups and 3 flushes to see if it will catch up and behave.

When it has done that (currently running 2.6.28-rc4), I will reboot to
2.6.27.5(or6) and see what occurs on the next scheduled run.

FWIW, and so we can check later, the udev setup of disk devices for 2.6.28-rc4
is:

[root@coyote ~]# ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  0 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  1 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  2 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sda2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  3 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sda3
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 16 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdb
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdb1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 18 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdb2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 19 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdb3
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 32 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdc
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 33 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdc1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 48 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdd
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 49 2008-11-11 23:34 /dev/sdd1

Which I don't believe is changing when I reboot to a 2.6.27 era kernel, but
something is surely telling amanda that everything is new when I do that
reboot.

This, as I said in a previous email, is turning into a PIMA.

What else, and what ls option do I use to see it, is changing just cuz I
rebooted to a different kernel, and is knocking amanda clear into next week
when it happens?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm free -- and freedom tastes of reality.
                -- The Who