Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck fails

2008-09-30 19:04:52
Subject: Re: amcheck fails
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT zmanda DOT com>
To: pierre.casenove AT almerys DOT com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:58:55 -0700
On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 20:18 +0200, pierre.casenove AT almerys DOT com wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I have a backup solution up and running for all the enterprise servers
> based on a 2.4.5 server et 2.4.5 client under Gentoo.
> The latest server delivered are under RHEL 5. So I installed the
> oldest client-backup I found: 2.5.1.
> And when I install the rpm, it created everything for user
> amandabackup. As all the other servers are using user amanda, I am
> trying to modify the configuration to use this user (amanda).
> When I launch amcheck from the server, I receive following error:
> ERROR: NAK almerysw: getpwnam(amandabackup) fails
>
> Looking at amandad logs of the client, I find this:
> amandad: time 0.000:        CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure'
> '--build=i386-redhat-linux' '--prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin'
> '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib/amanda'
> '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
> '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib/amanda' '--localstatedir=/var/lib/amanda'
> '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--infodir=/usr/info'
> '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-gnutar=/bin/tar'
> '--with-gnutar-listdir=/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists'
> '--with-dumperdir=/usr/lib/amanda' '--with-index-server=localhost'
> '--with-tape-server=localhost' '--with-user=amandabackup'
> '--with-group=disk' '--with-owner=paddy' '--with-fqdn'
> '--with-bsd-security' '--with-bsdtcp-security'
> '--with-bsdudp-security' '--with-ssh-security' '--with-assertions'"
>
> So I think that the problem is with the option
> --with-user=amandabackup

I am not completely clear on your situation.  I believe you are saying
that you have a new RedHat server that you want to backup with Amanda
(as a client).  It shouldn't be any problem for a client to have a
different Amanda username than the server.  The key point is to make
sure that your client's .amandahosts file references the Amanda user of
your Amanda server.  For instance, if your .amandahosts file on your new
client currently reads

   amanda_server amandabackup amdump

you need to change this line to reflect the Amanda username on your
server or

    amanda_server amanda amdump

This is the only place where the difference in Amanda usernames between
systems would matter.

> Where can I modify the behavior of amanda so that it runs with amanda
> user?

Again, this shouldn't be necessary yet, if this is your ultimate goal,
you could recompile 2.5.1 Amanda source code,
http://zmanda.com/download-amanda.php, yourself with changing only
--with-user=amanda in the configure options listed above or you could
find an older RedHat amanda rpm that was compiled with this option.

> Is it possible to install the rpm configured to use amanda username?

Not that I know of.

Paul