Amanda-Users

Re: Performance issues

2008-09-25 12:06:01
Subject: Re: Performance issues
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jamie Penman-Smithson <jpenman.smithson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:00:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 at 4:42pm, Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote

The holding disk is on a local [lowly] IDE drive. The data being
backed up is on the whole comprised relatively large (couple of gig)
files stored on SAN over fibre. At first I thought that the adverse

Have you benchmarked the SAN from this host independent of amanda? Try something like bonnie++ or even just 'tar cO /foo | cat > /dev/null'.

performance was due to the IDE disk, however after disabling the
holding disk it actually takes 4 hours longer to complete. I've

If you can't read from the SAN fast enough to keep the tape streaming, then it *would* take even longer without a holding disk.

considered using memory (/dev/shm) as a holding disk, however this is
only 500 MB and I'm not sure if having such a small holding disk would
make any difference.

Nope. The holding disk needs to be big enough to store the whole backup image.

The tape drive is part of an IBM TotalStorage 3582 tape library.

LTO1?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin