Amanda-Users

Re: amandad args in inetd.conf

2008-09-23 20:04:10
Subject: Re: amandad args in inetd.conf
From: John Hein <jhein AT timing DOT com>
To: Olivier Cherrier <oc AT symacx DOT com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:17:55 -0600
Olivier Cherrier wrote at 18:46 -0400 on Sep 23, 2008:
 > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:27:26AM -0600, jhein AT timing DOT com wrote:
 > > Where are the docs for what args need to be added to amandad in
 > > inetd.conf?
 > >
 > > I added amindexd and amidxtaped on the backup server in order to do
 > > amrecover, but then amcheck failed (needed noop, then selfcheck).
 > > Then amdump failed (needed sendsize, ...).
 >
 > I think you have to populate your ~amandauser/.amandahosts with
 > something like that (amandauser = operator for me) :
 > yourHost             operator        amdump
 >
 > >From amanda(8): "amdump is a shortcut for "noop selfcheck sendsize
 > sendbackup"

Ah... difference between amanda-2.5 and amanda-2.6.  At least a
documentation difference.  2.5.* seems to be missing that
documentation in the context of inetd.conf and 2.6.* doesn't have that
tidbit at all (in fact it doesn't seem to support the service entry in
.amandahosts in the 2.6 man page).  I'm not sure if that's an
oversight or deliberate.

I also wonder if that alias is valid in inetd.conf.

 > > I see the full list in amandad.c, and I think I understand why clients
 > > don't need the addition.  It defaults to all services except amindexd
 > > and amidxtaped being active.  But when you activate those two on the
 > > server, it seems it _de_activates the others.
 >
 > I myself configured inetd.conf like that:
 > $ grep amandad /etc/inetd.conf
 > amanda    dgram  udp wait   operator /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
 > amandad amindexd amidxtaped

So you don't backup your server?  Or you use .amandahosts to specify
the services that amandad can run on the server?  I guess I don't
see a big difference between editing .amandahosts vs. inetd.conf