Amanda-Users

Overlapping backups: should I expect problems?

2008-09-16 00:13:18
Subject: Overlapping backups: should I expect problems?
From: John Morris <jman AT ablesky DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:36:34 +0800
Hi,

We're doing our on-site backups using virtual tapes. Two hard drives are dedicated to this. In an attempt to be clever, I set up two configurations, DS2 and DS3, that back up the same filesystems, but whose virtual tapes are on separate disks. The idea is that if we need to restore, and one of the disks turns out to have a problem, that we'll still have the other disk with a complete level 0 and incrementals. The configurations run on alternating days. Does this make sense?

My question is, is this actually a good idea? Will there be any problems I haven't anticipated, such as the two configs conflicting? For example, I notice that there is only one /etc/amandates file that is presumably shared by both configurations. I don't know whether the date to begin incrementals from is from this file or from /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists.

Thanks for any hints! This configuration has been running for a few weeks without any evident problems so far, except for one DLE whose incrementals are always the same size as the level 0s, despite that there are very few changes to the filesystem; I'm still working that one out.

   John