Amanda-Users

Re: caution: gtar 1.20 & amanda < 2.5.1

2008-09-07 01:51:06
Subject: Re: caution: gtar 1.20 & amanda < 2.5.1
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 01:46:50 -0400
On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 10:44:11PM -0600, John Hein wrote:
> Someone may already know about this, but using gtar > 1.15.1 and
> amanda < 2.5.1 will not work very well.
>
> The format of the "listed incremental" file has changed.  Among other
> things, the entries are now separated by '\0' "null" bytes rather than
> newlines.  [I'm not exactly sure why since it doesn't save any space
> and I don't think '\n' is a valid character in a posix file name].

After a quick search I did not find a reference for this, but I'd
be surprised if posix did not allow \n as a valid file name char.
For the multiple decades I've used unix, it has always been valid.
If not specifically allowed, it may be one of those undefined
things that leaves it to the locale or character set.

> This causes trouble for amanda < 2.5.1 which tries to read in the
> "old" snapshot file and copy it to a new one in a fgets/fputs loop
> which explicitly appends a newline to the copy whether there was one
> in the original or not.  With the old format (gnutar <= 1.15.1), this
> was not a problem since it used newlines.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)