Amanda-Users

Re: Backups to disk and tape

2008-08-09 11:54:27
Subject: Re: Backups to disk and tape
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Peter Spikings" <peter.spikings AT powergroup.co DOT uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:49:35 -0400
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Peter Spikings
<peter.spikings AT powergroup.co DOT uk> wrote:
> Is that possible? (because I can't see how from reading the man pages).

What you're asking about is called D2D2T, and Amanda doesn't support
it directly just yet, although preliminary support is a goal for the
next release or so.

RAIT is the current best option.  As long as you're mirroring, there's
no problem with deleting a vtape after 7 days.  If you need to recover
that data, you'll just retrieve the tape and use it directly.  So a
little bit of shell wrapper can get you up and running with this
scheme in no time.

I'd be interested to hear folks' high-level thoughts on how D2D2T (or,
more generally, data migration) configuration should work in Amanda.
Should migration be a separate step from dumping (a la amflush)?
Should migration be scheduled somehow (and if so, with what sort of
parameters), or should Amanda require explicit instructions on which
dumps to migrate and when?  We're still laying the low-level
groundwork for migration, so there's lots of time to pontificate.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com