Amanda-Users

Re: Sources for replacement tape drive in Sun L9 array

2008-08-08 09:24:56
Subject: Re: Sources for replacement tape drive in Sun L9 array
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:20:30 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Dustin J. Mitchell schrieb:
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au> wrote:
Can any generic DLT-8000 raw drive be used to replace the existing one? I
believe they're all made by Quantum. Other than the tape drive issue, I've
got Amanda working fine backing up all my systems including my
Strongbolt/CentOS-based Cobalt Raq-4i system (my web server machine).

I have[1] an L9, but it shipped with a dead drive.  I haven't been
able to find a DLT-8000 drive that I *know* will work with the library
-- all those pieces-parts to the door and loading/unloading mechanism
have to line up just right, and it has to fit into the library's
mounting brackets.

So I don't have the answer, but I'd be very interested if someone else does!

I double this as I struggle with my Quantum DLT8000 inside a HP Surestore library. I am still not sure where the problems come from but I consider adding or swapping a/the tapedrive. Maybe someone knows some source ...

I'm probably going to take my L9 offline for a day or two and totally take it apart to see I can work out whether the problem is fixable, but I expect that a new or refurbished DLT-8000 drive will be needed. I don't know of any places here in Australia that can service/refurbish the drives, but there's bound to be a few outlets that can do it. Cost might be prohibitive though.

Craig.

--
Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick";.
Email 2 "cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org";