Amanda-Users

Re: Howto: amanda sata backup server

2008-07-31 02:15:33
Subject: Re: Howto: amanda sata backup server
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: Snorre Stamnes <sstamnes AT stevens DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:07:45 +0200
Snorre Stamnes schrieb:
Main question: What is an example of a "good" default configuration for a "hard drive" amanda backup server?

There's no general configuration for all kind of networks/server. But a good start is http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Set_Up_Virtual_Tapes

1. What raid-level should be used for the /backup partition? Is raid5 OK, or should raid6/raid10/raid0+1 be used? Should /backup be on its own raid device?

This depents on what kind of redundancy and speed you want to have and how much money you want to spend. I use a raid6 array of 16 x 320GB disks with 2 hotspares here.

2. Should /holdingdisk be stored on a separate raid device from /backup, /, and /data?

This is also a thought of speed, costs,...

3. Is it usually standard practice to have "hard drive" amanda backup servers be solely responsible for holding backups? Or is it very possible to use a single server to due amanda backups, and also perform other tasks (number crunching, file serving, etc.) ie having /, /data, /backup. /holdingdisk on a single server while also allowing users to login and perform work?

Also that is related to your environment. My backup server also runs httpd (for intranet), bind and dhcpd. The backup runs at night for some hours, where almost no one is working. Restoring some GB during the day doesn't affect the performance of my server.

4. Would this lay-out be OK for a server that would back-up clients to /backup, and also back its own root partition to /backup? Otherwise, what is a good default layout, or what are you using that works well for you?

/dev/md10   /                          (2x 1TB raid 1)
/dev/md20   /backup              (4x 1TB raid 5)
/dev/md30   /holdingdisk       (1x 500GB holding disk)

Why shouldn't it be OK? I mean, you are using softraid, so I guess you don't have a big server/network.

I would recommend having hardware raid. Get a 3Ware 9550SXU-8LP Sata Controller (here it costs 285,- Euro without tax), at least 4 Sata Disks, create a Raid5+Hotspare and put /backup and /holdingdisk on it. It's a cheap solution with redundancy and hardware raid.

5. When amanda finishes writing to the holding disk, does it stop all reads from all clients (including possibly itself), until it is finished writing to /backup, before resuming reading/writing to /holdingdisk?

You can configure amanda to run multiple backups in parallel (check out the inparallel parameter) and how many dumper processes max. run at the same time on each server (maxdumps parameter). Amanda read the data from the clients to the holdingdisk and from there at the same time writes data to the final (v)tape. Depending on the dumporder parameter, amanda decides which DLE is the next. So maybe sometimes a server is idle for some time, if all dumpers are busy at the moment.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung IT)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost