Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover on ubuntu

2008-07-05 16:52:52
Subject: Re: amrecover on ubuntu
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Dustin Schuemann <dustin AT elevatorup DOT com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 16:47:29 -0400

Dustin Schuemann wrote:
Im using amrecover on a ubuntu server. amdump and amcheck work great. When I try to run amrecover I get this error.
AMRECOVER Version 2.5.1p1. Contacting server on localhost ...
[
][request failed: timeout waiting for ACK]

I'm not a real linux guy; but, this being 4th July weekend in the U.S., the list may be a bit slower to respond, so I'll jump in.

The error you are getting is fairly common for people setting up Amanda. It is covered in a couple of places in the troubleshooting FAQ:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Troubleshooting

You could also google "amrecover ubuntu request failed timeout waiting for ACK" (or leave out ubuntu for a broader sweep), and you will see a number of threads with some details. Look for some of the answers posted by Gene Heskett, for example, or what people said when they posted that they had solved the problem.

amrecover is running in the opposite direction (starting from the client) compared amdump and amcheck. You should check to see that you set up amanda-client.conf on the clients and .amandahosts on the server for starters.

If you still have problems after looking through some of that, post a little more detail on your configuration, and when someone else comes along on the list, they will have that to work with.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center