Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda's response to malfunction of tape library

2008-06-13 15:19:31
Subject: Re: Amanda's response to malfunction of tape library
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:13:13 -0400

Jon LaBadie wrote:
What you expected is what happens when amanda has "no place" to put
the dumps.  Your combination of holding disk total space available
and the percentage reserved for degraded mode (a config option defaulting
to 100% but which must have been set lower in your config) left
enough space available to do the normal dumps.  If things had
continued and you reached the reserved percentage, then incrementals
only would have been done.

Thanks, Jon, I should have noticed that. I have a total of 600G holding space, and last time this sort of thing happened (some time last year), I adjusted my config a bit and set reserve to 15%. In the frenzy of running around helping people get their equipment up after our power outage, and dealing with my confused tape library, I forgot that I had made that adjustment.

Lewis Donofrio wrote:
Sounds like a job for the admin....if upsd or apcd since the events
that they are looking for though dbus then you should be able to do an
amshutdown though the scripts.....

--What do you folks think?
Lewis Donofrio         Sr. Windows / Unix Systems Administrator    734-355-0592

¿amshutdown?

Not among my "am" command line utilities. Not on the web anywhere according to google either {google(amshutdown amanda)}.

I'm figuring I will probably implement NUT (http://eu1.networkupstools.org/). But I will still need to know whether there is a clean and recommended way to tell Amanda to terminate operations immediately (accepting that ufsdumps will probably just hang).

Separate from that, I will have to figure out how to tell my library to prepare for loss of power. I can do that from the front panel, but I'll have to find out whether mtx or sonytape tool can do it from the command line. It essentially involves rewinding and ejecting the tape and then putting the arm in a neutral position.

Interestingly, on Saturday the 21st the campus will experience a series of rolling power outages as they test the new (~16.5MW CoGeneration) Central Heating Plant. We may just shut down for the day. At least we know in advance, and I'll get overtime to babysit the servers. 8-)

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center