Amanda-Users

Re: dumper abort()ing occasionally

2008-06-10 11:41:31
Subject: Re: dumper abort()ing occasionally
From: "Douglas K. Rand" <rand AT meridian-enviro DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:30:07 -0500
Ian> Are there any details regarding this issue in the /tmp/amanda
Ian> debug files for this dumper?

Doug> Nothing that I saw. Here is the dumper.*.debug file for that
Doug> pid. I also uploaded all of the debug files for that run from
Doug> the server to:

Doug>   http://meridian-enviro.com/rand/amanda/

Dustin> I can't look at the logs at that URL -- the Apache user
Dustin> doesn't have read permission on the files themselves.

Doh!  Checked that index worked, not that they were
readable. Sorry. Fixed.

Dustin> The debug logs do show the client connection timing out,
Dustin> though.  It's likely that this condition is what is tickling
Dustin> the dumper bug, and since 2.5.1 is no longer maintained, the
Dustin> solution is to stop tickling the bug :).  See if you can
Dustin> figure out why that connection is timing out -- busy network?
Dustin> Downed client?  Network partition?

Well, in this particular case it was because the system being backed
up froze. (I think the motherboard is failing.) Usually when this
happens it is not due to a crashed system.

I see that the FreeBSD port for Amanda is still at 2.5.1 (I'm usually
lazy and assume that if I'm up to date to the port I'm up to date with
the software.) I'll see about getting the port upgraded to 2.6.0.

Thanks for the help.