Amanda-Users

Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##

2008-06-03 19:49:05
Subject: Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:43:42 -0700

  --received from Jean-Louis Martineau--

> Paul Yeatman wrote:
> >  --received from Jean-Louis Martineau--
> >
> >>Paul,
> >>
> >>I haven't followed the thread and I don't have old mail.
> >>You should not need bsdudp.
> >>Your disklist should specify : auth "bsdtcp"
> >>Are you sure you have a correct plist for bsdtcp?
> >>Are you sure in run the good amandad?
> >>Can you post it?
> >>

> >I'm pretty sure about all of these.  Dustin has helped me go over these
> >intricacies.  What, more sepcifically, would be helpul to post
> amandad debug file show it is started with bsdudp,  either your disklist
> doesn't set auth to bsdtcp or your plist is not correct.
>
> Add 'debug_auth 1' in amanda.conf and the client amanda-client.conf
> Post the output of  'amanda <conf> disklist' and your plist files.
> Retry a dump.
> Post the amcheck.*.debug from the server and amandad.*.debug from the
> client.

Thanks again for the help!

I started to go over things again to produce the logs mentioned and,
whala, no need!  It worked this time with bsdtcp afterall.  Thanks!

I am so sure I had everything in order but apparently not.  I did find
that one of the 5 or so entries was still using bsd instead of bsdtcp
authorization.  I wouldn't expect this to stop the whole thing from
working but  . . . possibly.  Anyhow, it works and I'm very glad and
very appreciative of your and Dustin's help.

I'm still not sure what to expect if I make a global "auth bsdtcp".  I
would certainly expect this to break all pre-2.6 clients.

Paul