Amanda-Users

Re: How to use a wrapper "amgtar"

2008-03-07 07:32:35
Subject: Re: How to use a wrapper "amgtar"
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Takashi Kurakata <t.kurakata AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:24:52 -0500

Takashi Kurakata wrote:
Hi, all.

I try to set of "amgtar" reffering to the
URL:http://www.amanda.org/docs/howto-wrapper.html .

First I try to configure Amanda(amanda:2.6.0b2) on the client to use
the gnutar-wrapper instead of the real GNU-tar:
./configure ... --with-gnutar=/bin/amgtar ...

But I get this on make:
WARNINGS:
  /bin/amgtar is not GNU tar, so it will not be used.

Would you please answer to my questions follow whether if they are
possible or not?

1) What did I do wrong?
2) Does this error occure on older amanda 2.5.2p2?

Your prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

When I was developing my wrapper, I went through a number of trials. I found that when I did the ./configure, I needed to have the wrapper that configure thought should be the actual utility in fact be the actual utility. So I would symlink the (in your case) /bin/amgtar to the actual gnutar, do the ./configure, make, make install, and then replace the symlink with the wrapper. While I was learning and getting the configure options right, I had to repeat that process each time I repeated the configure.

I'm assuming that configure does some tests that the wrapper isn't able to fake correctly, so configure decides it's not the real thing.

So, give it the real thing, and then replace it with the wrapper after you have everything built and installed.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center