Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up VMware-VMs

2008-03-07 03:21:46
Subject: Re: Backing up VMware-VMs
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Steve Wray <steve.wray AT cwa.co DOT nz>, Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:15:30 +0100
On 2008-03-06 21:38, Steve Wray wrote:
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Patrick M. Hausen schrieb:

So if you want to backup/copy an entire VM with the guarantee of
consistent hard disk state, you need to shut it down. Copying
a multi gigabyte virtal disk file is bound to take quite some time.

So you need to power down your virtual machine for what can amount
to hours.

What about combining it with LVM-snapshots?

Are LVM snapshots working properly now?

The last few times I tried it (several months ago) it was a total disaster and not something I'd want to risk even attempting on a virtual machine.

What kind of disaster on which kernel?

I had problems when using LVM2 in CentOS/RHEL 4.2 or so, but in 4.5
and 5 it is stable as long as you have 256 Mbyte RAM or more (I have
one machine with 128 Mbyte RAM running CentOS 4.5, and that one had a
kernel panic once every 6 months or so due to LVM2 snapshots -- I do not
use snapshots anymore on that machine since last time it crashed
about 3 weeks ago.  Most of my other servers take snapshots twice a
day (as "cheap backup" during noon, and as quiet filesystem for
nightly Amanda backups), and have no problems with it.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *