Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA backup fails silently with "taper: Received signal 1"

2008-01-21 06:52:21
Subject: Re: AMANDA backup fails silently with "taper: Received signal 1"
From: Francis Galiegue <fg AT one2team DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:51:51 +0100
Le Friday 18 January 2008 17:27:52, vous avez écrit :
> In this case, I am starting amdump test by running:
>
> $amdump periodic&
>
> I did exit the shell, so perhaps the & command is not enough to
> prevent the SIGUP from being processed?

It is not. Putting a process in the background does NOT close stdin, stdout
and stderr and therefore they still point to the controlling terminal.

zsh knows about &!, which reopens all three to /dev/null (I think) but you
mentioned screen: that's the right way to do it imho.

--
Francis Galiegue, fg AT one2team DOT com - Ingénieur système
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]