Amanda-Users

Re: boot image for restores

2008-01-01 23:46:37
Subject: Re: boot image for restores
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Jeremy Mordkoff" <jlm AT zazzletech DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 23:41:59 -0500
On Tuesday 01 January 2008 22:08:45 Jeremy Mordkoff wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for an OS to put on a boot disk for
> doing restores? I am thinking of using flash drives, but CD is an option
> also.

I have had good success with SystemRescueCD, which includes a wide variety of
useful applications for almost any system recovery need.

It does not include the Amanda restore tools, however, so you will need to
either do a manual restore with native tools (e.g., tar/gzip) or else build
your own CD with the Amanda tools included. There is a standard way to build
your own CD, and you can install Amanda on it using standard packages and the
alien application.

--Ian

--
Forums for Amanda discussion: http://forums.zmanda.com/