Amanda-Users

exclude issues

2007-12-26 03:46:19
Subject: exclude issues
From: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:34:11 -0800 (PST)
Hi guys,

I know amanda can exclude whatever file that we do not need but that will
succeed if estimate done. What if amanda cannot do estimate even I did
increased up to 4hrs for the etimeout. That is because amanda do the
estimation and don't care whether in the DLE got small files or not. If the
DLEs got a million of small files amanda cannot do estimate. That is what I
understand since I have experienced it so far. Correct me if I wrong.

I am having a problem like this. I want to backup /home/user. In that DLE
got million of small files (txt and log files) and I want to exclude them. I
only can exclude them if estimate succeed (because of DLE has a few small
files). If DLE has more small files then amanda cannot do estimate (timed
out) and of course I cannot exclude them.

1) amanda will start exclude stuff before estimate done or after?
2) May I know amanda can exclude or skip the small files during estimation?
3) Is there any setting that I missed up to solve this kind of issue?