Amanda-Users

Re: cleaning tapes and integration into Amanda backup scheme?

2007-11-29 01:34:56
Subject: Re: cleaning tapes and integration into Amanda backup scheme?
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:27:18 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Olivier Nicole wrote:

My Sun L9 array has told me it needs a cleaning tape run. I have one so
that's no problem but what I'd like to know is if there is a way that
Amanda can receive info from the tape drive about the requirement for
cleaning and co-ordinate cleaning tape runs as part of the overall backup
stragegy?

My strategy, all human based, is to have the cleaning tape on the pile
of the next set of 6 tapes to be used.

I have my tapes pool divided into 3 sets of 6, once I have run through
the current set, I move the stack to the back and come up with a new
stack, on top of which is the cleaning tape.

My L9 tape array has DLT-4 tapes in the first 8 slots, and today I've put a brand new cleaning tape into the 9th slot. There's nothing in my tape server's amanda.conf file relating to cleaning tapes, so I'm wondering where in the Amanda config schema the info about location of cleaning tapes needs to be. Does Amanda itself need to know, or does mtx need to know directly?

Craig.

--
Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick";.
Email 2 "cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org";