Amanda-Users

Re: Probably very stupid question about chg-disk

2007-11-16 13:53:53
Subject: Re: Probably very stupid question about chg-disk
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:48:23 -0500

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Francis Galiegue wrote:
Is the holding disk still necessary? My guess is no, but then I may be mistaken. The documentation is not clear on this point. It only says not to put holding disks in the same place than vtapes... Which doesn't really mean "you WILL still need a holding disk, but try and put it on another disk for performance reasons".

A holding disk allows to run multiple dumps in parallel.
Without a holding disk, all dumps will run sequential.

or for more detail:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:Should_I_use_a_holdingdisk_when_the_final_destination_of_the_backup_is_a_virtual_tape%3F

which someone else posted to the list not too long ago.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center