Amanda-Users

Re: slow and only 1 dumper?

2007-11-15 06:37:12
Subject: Re: slow and only 1 dumper?
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:31:06 +0100
Charles Stroom schrieb:
The first question is why the dumping on "stremen" is soooo slow!  It
did 95% of ~1Gb in 40 minutes.  Dumping on fiume (the one which runs
the server) is much faster, maybe 10x faster.  Even downloading from
internet goes faster than the dumps on stremen.

This could depent on differnet things. E. g. network problems (Slow connection, packet loose,...). It also depents on the files you backup. A single 1 GB file is dumped very fast, but 1.000.000 files with a total sum of 1 G is dumped much slower.

The second question is that always only 1 dumper seems to be running at
the time.  Even if the dumper runs on stremen, fiume will not start
another dumper in parallel.  I thought that I specified sufficient
bandwidth and # of dumpers in the conf file, which is attached.

Check the amanda.conf parameters "maxdumps" and "inparallel". Having too much maxdumps and the data is compressed on the client, then this produces a high load and makes everything slow, too.

And why are small DLEs written to tape, when I have specified
dumporder "Ss" in the conf file?

Have a look at the wiki. Maybe this information can help you.
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Fill_tapes_to_100%25

Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost