Amanda-Users

Barcode labels for LTO, DLT, ...

2007-11-11 14:33:49
Subject: Barcode labels for LTO, DLT, ...
From: Sven Rudolph <sr1 AT loom.sax DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:24:32 +0100
(Looks like the previous message didn't get to the list because I
wasn't subscribed from this address. So I retry.)

Hello,

following the ideas from the discussion some months ago I implemented
just another tool for creating barcode labels for tapes. It is written
in Perl and uses the Barcode Writer in Pure PostScript. Currently it
creates labels for DLT and LTO (Ultrium). I'd like it to become even more
generic, but the way of specifying the label layout is still a bit
inflexible. So I first want to show you what I did, and you can tell
me what is needed...

(I previously used something TeX-based for creating DLT labels, but
now I use LTO4 tapes. LTO requires adhesive labels, this laser printer
media is expensive and I needed something that uses the page
efficiently. My script can fit 34 LTO labels on one A4 page.)

BTW: Only A4 paper format is specified yet. If you need other paper
formats, look at the paperspec variable.

I guess I should write more documentation ...

The script and some more text are at
<http://www.sax.de/~sr1/projects/make_tape_barcode/> .

Please tell me what you think about this.

        Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1 AT sax DOT de>                http://www.sax.de/~sr1/