Amanda-Users

Re: network usage

2007-11-01 15:33:16
Subject: Re: network usage
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Krahn, Anderson" <AKrahn AT gs1us DOT org>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:31:44 -0400
Krahn,

The 'interface' section in amanda.conf is one of the most frequently
misunderstood parts of Amanda configuration. The name is quite misleading,
and almost never means what people think it should.

First of all, I should start by saying that Amanda does nothing to restrict
the speed, bandwidth, or routing of a particular dump -- all dumps, once
started, run at full speed. How and how quickly your packets are routed
should be controlled in-kernel using policy routing and QoS.

All the interface section in amanda.conf does is limit the starting of new
dumps, so that for example only one dump at a time will run over a given
network connection.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

--Ian Turner

--
Zmanda: Open Source Backup and Recovery.
        http://www.zmanda.com