Amanda-Users

Re: Encryption, compression

2007-10-30 17:44:14
Subject: Re: Encryption, compression
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:37:55 -0400

Brian Cuttler wrote:
Amanda users,

I may have missed it in the mailing list... I know that
encryption came available in 2.5.0, either server side
or client side, or the channel (though I think encrypting
on the client provides an encrypted channel by default, true ?)

Anyway, I was wondering and haven't seen... how to encryption
and compression play against one another. Some data compresses
very well, some doesn't, If you are encrypting, doesn't that
tend to cause the data to be less compressable ?

We are looking an encryption on the tape for one of our amanda
servers, just want to sort of know what to expect when I upgrade
the client and server and turn on encryption, compression is
already enabled.

hmm, I just saw something on this. Don't remember where, and I deleted it.

It's interesting that when you google "compressing encrypted data", you get on the first page

    A wikipedia entry claiming you cannot compress encrypted data

A storagemojo guru saying that it is a mathematical faux pas to say that encrypted data can be compressed

An EECS Berkeley and IEEE Publication detailing the mathematics of compressing encrypted data (it works) (7 of the 10 links on the first page were to copies of this paper)

I think I recall that the item I saw earlier indicated significant compression of encrypted data.

I'm going to make the wild speculation that particular results will depend on your encryption keys and your compression methods as well as your original data. That said, the bottom line is always real world tests. Therefore, if no one comes up with detailed examples and data, I would suggest just doing it and recording the results. Choose your methods and your data and then make a results table with the size of the original data, the size compressed, the size compressed and then encrypted, the size encrypted, and the size encrypted and then compressed. Send it back to the list with the algorithms, methodology and results.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center