Amanda-Users

Re: amanda tape stats

2007-10-23 13:21:40
Subject: Re: amanda tape stats
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0400

Krahn, Anderson wrote:
Those conclude that my tapes are not being compressed by the hardware.
EGV006       0:06  5072384k    1.2    42     0
These tapes are lto 3 tapes that are 400g/800g compressed. Do anyone
know what is need to confirm hardware compression on a solaris 10
servers?
Also how to tell Amanda to use multiple tapes in a single dump.
Here is my tapelist and it appears to be using only 1 tape per run...
cat tapelist
20071022161201 EGV006 reuse
20071022102326 EGV005 reuse
0 EGV008 reuse
0 EGV007 reuse
0 EGV004 reuse
0 EGV003 reuse
0 EGV002 reuse

Are you getting tape errors?

I'm just puzzled, because the size indicated above (5G), and all the sizes mentioned in your previous emails, were quite small relative to what you ought to be getting, irrespective of compression. Check /var/adm/messages. Also, are you using a holding disk? And how big is it? If your network is lousy and you're transferring data directly from the network to LTO, you could be getting lots of bad behavior from the tape drive as a result.

Confirming compression isn't specific to Solaris 10. amtapetype (do a man page) will tell you what's up with the tape drive, but it will take quite a while to run and is destructive to any data on the tape it uses. If you have doubts about your setup and/or tape drive behavior, it might be worth dropping back and trying that just as a sanity check.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center