Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover

2007-10-19 03:44:43
Subject: Re: amrecover
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Krahn, Anderson" <AKrahn AT gs1us DOT org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:36:53 +0200
On 2007-10-18 22:19, Krahn, Anderson wrote:
Is there any way to speed up the recovery time from amrecover. Currently it is taking over 2hrs to restore a 60Meg file?

It depends.  If the file is burried in a huge dump or gnutar file
on the tape, then there is nothing else Amanda can do than reading
the bytes from tape until the file you want to recover is found.

Note that "the reading of the tape" is done on the amanda tapeserver
and that backup image is transported over the network to the client.
It is the client that feeds that network stream into the backup
extraction program. That way the server and client can have incompatible backup programs: the server just stores the whole
backup image, and the client understands what is inside.

You can speed up the server part (reading the tape) by adding
the amanda.conf parameter:

   amrecover_do_fsf yes

You can also speed up the server part if you avoid creating huge
backup images, and instead split up some large DLE's:

 http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_DLEs_With_Exclude_Lists

If the network is slower than your tape (usually, for modern tapedrives
where even the internal bus is sometimes too slow!) and you have
a compatible extract program on the server (e.g. gnutar, of dumpprogram
of the same filesystems), then you can also speed up by restoring
the file itself on the server, and move that to the client later.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *