Amanda-Users

Fibre Channel und SAN support

2007-10-15 15:45:47
Subject: Fibre Channel und SAN support
From: Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress AT arcor DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:37:58 +0200
Hi all!

Sorry if these questions are somewhat dumb, but I couldn't find answers in the archives...

In my company, we plan to buy a set of new servers running Linux and Windows, all connected to a SAN via Fibre Channel and a tape changer (DLT or LTO), again with a fibre channel connection. I wonder if it is possible to use Amanda in this configuration.

Accessing the SAN partitions shouldn't be difficult as they are visible as simple block devices. But what about the tape? Is it simply a /dev/st* for Linux, so it can be accessed the usual way? And is it possible to use the changer? Anyone having experiences with such a setup?

An other question: some vendors (e.g. ARCserve has a "CA ARCserve Backup Storage Area Network (SAN) Option") seem to offer SAN backups in which a backup software triggers a backup directly from the SAN to the tape (I hope I got this correctly...). Is this also possible with Amanda? I guess -if it is possible to address the changer- it would always be possible to use the traditional way by first creating the tar's and then writing them to the tape from one master server, but this might be a network hog. Therefore, some kind of direct (via the Fibre Channel) access would probably be faster.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Cheers,
Albrecht.

--
Albrecht Dreß - Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13 - D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress AT arcor DOT de