Amanda-Users

variety of users w/ ssh-auth

2007-10-04 12:14:23
Subject: variety of users w/ ssh-auth
From: Cameron Matheson <cameronm AT webpipe DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:43:31 -0600
Hello,

I have an amanda setup using auth-ssh, but I'm running into a bit of a
problem.  I've compiled amanda by hand on most of the boxes I'm backing
up (including the server), but I'd like to use the rpm's from zmanda.org
on my servers that have packages available.  The problem is that I can't
my hand-compiled boxes use 'amanda' for the user, whereas the zmanda
packages use 'amandabackup'.  When my server tries to connect to one of
these clients, it attempts to connect as amanda AT example DOT com.

I tried adding the following stanza to my ~amanda/.ssh/config :

Host example.com
User amanda

So that didn't alter the behavior at all.  I tried running amcheck
through strace to see what was really going on, and it looks like the
call to ssh is passing "-l amanda".  Is this intended behavior, or a
bug?  It seems like passing the username like that should be unnecessary
since amanda is running as the amanda user.  It would be nice to be able
to mix usernames like this (I know I was able to do this w/ the normal
bsd-auth scheme a few years back).

So my question is, is there anything I can do to work around this?
Would a patch to alter this behavior be welcomed?

Thanks,
Cameron