Amanda-Users

How to configure Amanda for our backup strategy?

2007-10-01 09:49:07
Subject: How to configure Amanda for our backup strategy?
From: DavidG AT hesston DOT edu
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:50:59 -0500
I'm setting up Amanda for the first time and would like to configure
it for our existing backup strategy.  We want to do complete backups
nightly during weekdays, i.e. Monday-Friday night.  Once a week, let's
say Wednesday, we want to take one tape to an off-site vault and bring
another tape back, meaning we'd be taking a tape out of the normal
rotation and bringing another one back into the rotation.  We'd want
to have a minimum of 4 tapes in rotation (3 here and 1 off-site),
possibly a few more, but not a huge number of tapes.  All will be
complete backups, no incrementals.

What parameters would work best in Amanda for doing this with a
minimal need for manual "adjustments" during the week?  Is it possible
to just take a tape out of the rotation for a week and give Amanda a
different tape than it expects, or does a person have to tell Amanda
they've done this each time they do it?

Thanks for any help or tips anyone might have!

David