Amanda-Users

Re: amfetchdump inventory mode

2007-09-27 17:00:22
Subject: Re: amfetchdump inventory mode
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:03:10 -0400
On Thursday 27 September 2007 11:57:53 Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> To summarize the levels of functionality for restore:
>  OS, Amanda, Config, Logs, Indices: use amrecover
>  OS, Amanda, Config, Logs: use amfetchdump
>  OS, Amanda: use amrestore[1], or use inventory to recover the logs
> and then use amfetchdump
>  OS: use native tools

Yes, although I'd add to that list that you can (in theory) restore and
reassemble split files without logs but with a working config using
amfetchdump. It should even be able to operate a changer.

> P.S. I think it will make more sense to move the inventory mode to
> amrestore, making that the generic restore-without-config-or-indices
> tool.  It doesn't really fit well with the operation of amfetchdump,
> IMHO.  Opinions welcome.

IMNSHO, amfetchdump -i is not all that useful to begin with, because you still
can't use amrecover to browse the logfiles without also having complete
indexes. I think it would make more sense to combine the upcoming "reindex"
functionality with any "relog" functionality, whether via options on an
existing tool or via an entirely new tool.

--Ian
--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/