Amanda-Users

estimate engine loseing it?

2007-09-01 11:17:57
Subject: estimate engine loseing it?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:16:33 -0400
Greetings all;

I can recall when amanda would stay within 98% of filling a 4GB tape, and do
it reliably for weeks at a time.

But recently, the size of the backups has been varying more, like by as much
as 30% from nightly run to nightly run.  I added a day to the schedule about
2 weeks ago because it seemed to be continually leaving 3 or 400MB in dumps
for the next nightly run to flush.

That should have brought the average fill ratio down to 70-75%.  But last
night it did level 0's on 3 of the 4 biggest dle's, filled the vtape and quit
with 709MB left in /dumps, which was from 28 of the 31 dle's here.  So I just
added yet another day to the dumpcycle and runspercycle.

However amadmin balance's output is till a bit scary:

[amanda@coyote ~]$ amadmin Daily balance

 due-date  #fs    orig MB     out MB   balance
 9/01 Sat   14       7724       3948    -46.1%
 9/02 Sun    1        520        259    -96.5%
 9/03 Mon    4      13093      10921    +49.2%
 9/04 Tue    6      12916       9176    +25.4%
 9/05 Wed   10      24545      12292    +67.9%
TOTAL       35      58798      36596      7319
DISTINCT    31      56718      35560
  (estimated 5 runs per dumpcycle)
 (1 filesystem overdue, the most being overdue 1 day)

What I don't grok is that the 9/01 data, which was last night, totally
disagrees with what it actually did.  Which was 11.87GB & 98.5%, leaving
709MB in /dumps.  Should this first line of a balance report not be a
truthfull answer since its after the actual fact?

This is amanda-2.5.2p1-20070727.

Is there an option I can add to the build config, or to my wrapper scripts,
that would improve its estimate accuracy and make it be more consistent?

Or is it time I make the jump to the 2.5.3-alpha code since it appears this is
the end of the development line for 2.5.2, there having been no activity
there for over a month?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'll never get off this planet.
                -- Luke Skywalker