Amanda-Users

Re: amanda server on Mac OS X ?

2007-07-17 22:46:41
Subject: Re: amanda server on Mac OS X ?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:42:40 -0400

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 12:27:48AM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Any experience with amanda-server on OS X?
Any infos regarding this newer than the mentioned link above?

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Installation/OS_Specific_Notes/Installing_Amanda_on_Mac_OS_X

I use Macs at home, so I did some work on this a while back.  Everything
that I understand is summarized on that page.

To answer your specific question, you can run an Amanda server on a Mac,
with the caveat that Mac OS X itself doesn't support any tape drives.

Clients work great.

I'm not sure I understand that.

When you say Mac OS X doesn't support tape drives, do you mean that the specific type of implementation expected by amanda is not supported? I'm kind of blindly waving my arms in the air, but it just doesn't seem quite right as a blanket statement and leads me to question further. Could you humor me and explain in more detail? And what does that mean for BSDs in general?

How would one go about trying to install and configure appropriate support?

Just as a for example, if I were to buy Retrospect for Mac OS X, I could use it to back up to tape. I understand, however, that that is a commercial product and builds its own drivers.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center