Amanda-Users

Re: dump faster then tar ?

2007-07-11 17:37:22
Subject: Re: dump faster then tar ?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: FM <dist-list AT LEXUM.UMontreal DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:35:59 -0400

FM wrote:
Hello,
one of my partition have more then 100 GB of html files inside a folder.
I am using tar because we want to exclude some folders next to the huge
one. Tar is taking hours to stats (?) all files inside the big folder.

Could it be faster if I create a new partition for this big folder and
the use dump to backup the partition?

It might also be helpful to know your operating system and software versions. On some systems dump is broken. On Solaris, ufsdump works and is fast.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center