Amanda-Users

amfetchdump - inventory mode

2007-06-19 14:37:28
Subject: amfetchdump - inventory mode
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:48:48 -0400
I haven't used amfetchdump before and thought I'd try its
inventory mode, option -i.  As I understand it, with this
option amfetchdump will examine the tapes (vtapes in my
case) and generate output showing the contents in a
syntax similar to logfile entries.

If I enter   amfetchdump -i mylog tstvt

It gets to the virtual tape changer, slot 1 and seems to
try to start an inventory.  But after a few seconds I
get the message:

  Scanning vtape01 (slot 1)
  amfetchdump: error reading file header: Input/output error

If I actually try to recover a dump from a specific host/date,
things seem to work properly.

When I looked at the tape in slot 1, due to wrap-around the
tape list, it was the second tape of an amdump run.  It contained
only the last couple of chunks of a dump started on the last
tape in the changer.

So I wonder if this scenario, first tape in the changer starts
in the middle of a split file sequence, was considered in the
logic of amfetchdump's -i option.  Have others gotten a successful
inventory under these conditions?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)