Amanda-Users

Re: One partition of remote machine, "all estimate failed" since 2007-May-30

2007-06-13 21:19:03
Subject: Re: One partition of remote machine, "all estimate failed" since 2007-May-30
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Glenn Gillis <glenn AT elaw DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:32:47 -0700
Glenn Gillis wrote:
Every day for the last few weeks (since May 30) one partition of a
remote machine fails with an "all estimate failed" error.

The exact error is:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  luna.elaw.org  /zope  lev 0  FAILED [disk /zope, all estimate failed]

If I run "amcheck daily" as the "operator" user before the job runs, I
receive this message during the "Backup Client Hosts Check" portion:

"ERROR: luna.elaw.org: [could not access /dev/ad0s1e (/zope): Permission
denied]"

Despite that error, I cannot find a permissions problem; the permissions
on the root directory are "drwxr-xr-x root:wheel" and on the /zope
directory "drwxr-xr-x root:wheel".  Inside the /zope directory,
everything (at least at the top level) is drwxr-xr-x zope:zope.

I've been backing up both of these systems with Amanda for several years
and haven't ever had estimates for a partition just stop working. I'm
running Amanda version 2.4.5p1, gtar-1.13.25 on the Amanda host; and
gtar-1.16_2 on the remote host. Both hosts are running FreeBSD
4.11-RELEASE-p26.

I've looked in the /tmp/amanda/*.debug files, as suggested in this
thread: <http://forums.zmanda.com/archive/index.php/t-299.html>, but
haven't found anything that looks troublesome.

Anyone have any thoughts about where to look from here?

have you upgraded the gtar on the client recently?
gtar 1.16 returns 1 when it sees size of a file changes. It's a new behavior that breaks Amanda prior to Amanda-2.5.1p2.

See:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:What_versions_of_GNU_Tar_are_Amanda-compatible%3F

--
Thank you!