Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2007-06-06 09:47:10
Subject: Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:54:55 +0200
Hi All,

I've been experiencing the same error messages with Amanda
2.5.2-20080523
running Solaris 10 125100-07 when I backup *any slice* with using a
non-root
user id.

A quick search on SunSolve threw up the following bug report :

Bug ID: 4961690
Synopsis: roll_log()/make_mp() misuses mktemp(), causing spurious failures of
fsck, ufsdump
State: 5-Cause Known
See comments.
    Date Modified: 2004-06-11 05:50:40 GMT+00:00

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-1-4961690-1

(Note : Above link will require a SunSolve account)

>>From what I can gather reading the Bug Report the issue lies with the
permissions that ufsdump is using when creating a temporary mount point
(probably for creating the file index).

The directories in question :

        /tmp/.rlg.*
        /var/tmp/.rlg.*
        /.rlg.*

are created with mode 000 and the *real* user id and not the
effective (root) uid. The 000 mode means that non-root users
cannot access the created directory which causes ufsdump to
try and create the directory under the next directory in it's
prefered list until it fails

Maybe the issue that Benjamin is seeing is due to the failure of
ufsdump to create a temporary mount point when request a Level 2
dump. As ufsdump cannot mount the filesystem to create a list
of modified files to dump, maybe ufsdump 'fallbacks' to a simpler
Level 0 dump?? Just conjection of course...

Regards,

Nick Smith

p.s. Are users seeing lots of .rlg.* directories created -
     I am only seeing this on my 2.5.2 test installation but
     not on my 2.5.0p2 production servers also running the
     same version and patch level of Solaris??