Amanda-Users

estimates display wrong?

2007-05-18 11:25:18
Subject: estimates display wrong?
From: Christopher McCrory <chrismcc AT pricegrabber DOT com>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hello...

Since upgrading amanda, I'm seeing estimates ( via amstatus) way larger than
they should be.  I went from something before 2.5.1p3 , to 2.5.2, to 2.5.1p3,
2.5.2, 2.5.1p3, and now 2.5.1p3-20070516 ( on rhel4 x86_86 ).  The wrong
estimates could be a result of going back and forth between versions, but I
doubt it.  The estimates seem to be consistantly about twice what they should
be.  The "how many tapes do I need" part of amdump seems to work correctly, so
this might be a pure amstatus display issue.  On the DLEs that I can see
individually and are relatively stable in size, the real dump size is about 50%
of the estimate and the compression is also about 50%.  So I suspect something
is using the original size instead of the compressed size.

in amanda.conf:
compress client
estimate server
encrypt server
server_encrypt "/usr/sbin/amcrypt-ossl-asym"

and a number of DLEs with:
skip-incr

from amstatus:
(something like)
wait for writing:  xx      8301m     16420m ( 50.56%) ( xx.xx%)

from amadmin info client
compressed size, Full:  54.1%, 54.1%, 54.1%
compressed size, Full:  54.7%, 54.7%, 54.7%
etc.

OR
since the difference for me is twice as large, or half as large, depending of
how you look at it ;) the problem could also be a division/multiplication error
somewhere.  e.g. (total/4) vs (total/3) vs. (total/2)

--
Christopher McCrory

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.