Amanda-Users

Re: question about error message

2007-05-04 15:40:41
Subject: Re: question about error message
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 15:41:13 -0400
This failure is due to a change in tar behavior (in tar 1.16)
Amanda was updated for this new behavior in amanda-2.5.1p3.
You need amanda-2.5.1p3 or 2.5.2.

Jean-Louis

Freels, James D. wrote:
Hello, I am running amanda-server 2.5.1p1-2.1 on several clients of the
same version; all under linux/debian/stable (etch).  This new version
(from debian/sarge of v2.4.x vintage, have been using AMANDA for years)
has a few new features, including different messages, so I need help
interpreting it.

In the "FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:" section, I now often the
messages "FAILED [/bin/tar returned 1]"  Below this message in the
"FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:" the failed filesystem indicates "file
changed as we read it".  In almost every instance, it seems that this
error message in the previous version would not have shown up as a
failure, but perhaps a "strange" error was the wording that used to be
used.  For example, the AMANDA dump messages themselves will change
during a backup, so sure it will change, but is this an failure ?

What can be done to remove these error messages if they are not really a
failure ?

James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov