Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck fails but backup works

2007-04-18 07:12:32
Subject: Re: amcheck fails but backup works
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Yogesh Hasabnis <yhmail29 AT yahoo.co DOT in>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:08:47 -0400
Yogesh,

Always look in the log and debug files if you have a problem.

What's in the amcheck.*.debug, amandad.*.debug and selfcheck.*.debug files?

Jean-Louis

Yogesh Hasabnis wrote:
Hi,

We use Amanda 2.5.0p2 in our backup setup. The setup
was working fine for last 2 months. I have started
observing a strange problem from yesterday. I observe
that the "amcheck <config_name>" command which is
scheduled to run some 4 hours before the backup
begins, fails with the "error email" given below, but
the backup seems to work properly:

WARNING: <Client_Name>: selfcheck request failed:
timeout waiting for REP
Client check: 1 host checked in 90.059 seconds, 1
problem found.

In our setup the same host acts as a backup server and
client. No configuration changes have been made
recently. The exact "error message" is as follows:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /var/tmp/amanda: 66730388 KB disk space
available, that's plenty
read label `<tape-label>', date `20070313'

NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape <tape-label> label ok
Server check took 0.147 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: <client_host>: selfcheck request failed:
timeout waiting for REP
Client check: 1 host checked in 90.059 seconds, 1
problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0p2)

The xinetd configuration file for the Amanda backup
server/client is as follows:
service amanda
{
    disable     = no
    socket_type = dgram
    protocol    = udp
    wait        = yes
    user        = amandabackup
    group       = disk
    groups      = yes
    server      = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
    disable     = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol    = tcp
    wait        = no
    user        = amandabackup
    group       = disk
    groups      = yes
    server      = /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
    disable     = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol    = tcp
    wait        = no
    user        = amandabackup
    group       = disk
    groups      = yes
    server      = /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped
}

Can anybody provide some suggestions to resolve this
problem?

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh