Amanda-Users

Re: tape usage algorithm

2007-04-17 15:38:08
Subject: Re: tape usage algorithm
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:32:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 at 1:23pm, Brian Cuttler wrote

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere but I've never seen it
(perhaps because I missed it) explicitely discussed on the list.

My assumption on tape filling is that if dumps are still in
progress that amanda will try to write each DLE to tape as
it completes.

I have no idea what the algorithm is for DLE taping if there
are multiple completed DLEs in the work area.

I have never been able to figure out the tape ordering in when
amflush was being run.

Is there any sort of taper delay algorithm to optimize tape usage ?

Look in amanda(8) for dumporder and taperalgo as ways to try to optimize tape usage.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering