Amanda-Users

Re: Rotate vtapes

2007-04-13 17:37:49
Subject: Re: Rotate vtapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Rodrique Heron <swygue AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:31:08 -0400
On Friday 13 April 2007, Rodrique Heron wrote:
>When using the "tapetype HARD-DISK", how do I rotate a full vtape ?
>Will Amanda overwrite the vtape ?

Yes, when it has used up the tapecycle of vtapes.

>Reading through the documentation, I learned that amanda would not
>overflow the backup onto another tape. Is this still true ? I have
>440G dedicated to vtapes, my largest partition to be backed up is 80G.
>Should I make my tape vtapes 90G in size ? The setup I have in mind,
>would create 25 vtapes at 17G each, but I am worried about the
>overflow issue.
>
>Thanks

I'm much smaller, about 45GB of data, with a 295GB disk reservation for
vtapes, 20 of them, with a 4 day dumpcycle and runspercycle.  The 'tapesize'
is about 12GB.  Only occasionally does a backup run take more than 2 hours.

The 4 day dumpcycle vs the 20 tapecycle means I can backup at least 4
dumpcycles to recover something should I discover its missing something.

If I should worry about real archival, then there is the occasional dvd I burn
of the precious directories.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to.
                -- Dorthy Parker