Amanda-Users

estimating dump sizes

2007-04-12 13:30:28
Subject: estimating dump sizes
From: "Lee, Raymond" <Raymond.Lee AT qwest DOT com>
To: "AMANDA users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:20:57 -0500
Hi,

I'm running my amdumps with a wrapper script that basically says if the
holding disk is 90% full, then run amflush before doing an amdump -o
tapedev=/dev/null -o tpchanger="", else just run amdump -o
tapedev=/dev/null -o tpchanger="".

The goal was to fit as many dumps onto one tape as possible so that I
don't waste tape space.  This works pretty well, but what happens if my
holding disk is 89% full and the next dump will put it over 100% full?
I don't think amdump will automatically write to a tape because of the
-o tapedev=/dev/null -o tpchanger="" options, right?

Is there a way to estimate the size of the next dump so that I can
decide if I need to run amflush before the next amdump?

Thanks,
Ray