Amanda-Users

Re: testing a patched tar question.

2007-04-09 10:29:29
Subject: Re: testing a patched tar question.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:20:49 -0400
On Sunday 08 April 2007, dustin AT zmanda DOT com wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:29:53PM -0500, Marc Mengel wrote:
>> Couldn't someone hack up a utility to do a major number swapout in the
>> file where tar keeps track of what is in the last
>> incremental/full/etc.?
>
>That's what I suggested in

>I'm a little busy to work on it at the moment, if you're interested in
>taking up the task!
>
>Dustin

I'm all for it, as it could be included in GenesAmandaHelper's as a
preliminary task to be run in front of the backup itself.  Now the
question that comes to mind about such a utility is, what if tar is also
sensitive to the change-date of these files, would that not defeat the
purpose?

I rebooted last night, to the same kernel as before but as a new build
because I'd wanted to test something else, and the device-mapper thing
moved again, so for 3 nights in a row, amanda has been disturbed and told
to restart from square one.  My vtapes disk is 96% full, so I had to
reduce the size of the vtape back to something reasonably sane for a
180GB partition.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Humor in the Court:
Q.  And lastly, Gary, all your responses must be oral.  O.K.? What school
do
    you go to?
A.  Oral.
Q.  How old are you?