Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris packaging

2007-04-05 13:13:13
Subject: Re: Solaris packaging
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:50:22 -0400
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:21:27AM -0500, Lee, Raymond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled and installed the amanda client on one of my Solaris 10
> server and used pkgmk to create a package of all the files installed.
> Is that package compatible with all the other versions of Solaris, or do
> I have to create a separate package for each Solaris version that I want
> to install the client on?

Typically on Sun you can compile for older versions and run on newer.
But the other way around is not as likely to work.

Up til about 2 yrs ago one of my clients (humongous corp) still compiled
local apps for a Solaris 2.5.5 to be used on all machines 2.6, 2.7, and 8.
They were not allowing 9 in house yet.

Sol 10 is a major change in their OS and I note that many commercial apps
separate out their offerings as Sol 8 & 9 plus a separate one for Sol 10.
So maybe even the "compile for older versions, run on newer" doesn't hold
for Sol 10.  Or perhaps there are just so many new features/performance
benefits to Sol 10 that it is worth a separate, specific version.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)