Amanda-Users

Re: Does amrecover automatically use "unflushed" files on the holding disk ?

2007-04-01 09:06:37
Subject: Re: Does amrecover automatically use "unflushed" files on the holding disk ?
From: René Kanters <rkanters AT richmond DOT edu>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:32:01 -0400
Does this also suggest that one could set a 1TB hard drive to be the holding disk and only write to that, i.e., never use flush to 'tape' out the data. If that is possible, and the holding disk can be used as a 'fifo' type storage system, might that not be the ideal HD based backup system as opposed to using chg-disk?

I assume the overwriting of older backup data would be the issue, which is why I thought of a fifo type storage. This way one could keep as many tapecycles as the drive could hold and just lose one when more data is backed up.

I currently do not use a holding disk and write directly to the external HD. The result of that is that each disklist is only doing a single backup at a time (sequentially). As long as the network is not the bottleneck, this is not an ideal way. Using multiple disk lists and amdump instances could do the trick, but then you get more and more report emails and slots to maintain (when things go wrong).

Am I being stupid doing it this way? Does somebody have a better suggestion as to how to back up 11 different boxes to one server?

René